Pics

jthornton

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
I've been wanting to get rid of the round store bought feeder hanging from the rafters for a while. So I designed one to hold 1 1/2 cubic feet of feed and hopefully not waste any. I've seen the bucket feeders and the like and don't care for them. This one is built out of 1x6, plywood and some left over lexan for the front window. This is a test to see how it worked, and I realized that I didn't follow my plans exactly so after emptying the feeder out I made the correction so the depth of feed is much lower.
feeder-01.jpg

This is with the lid added.
feeder-03.jpg

Just need to wait for the paint to dry and install it.

JT

I don’t like the round feeders either. It takes up to much space for my set up. I was thinking of purchasing a bird feeder similar to what you made! Let us know how it works.

JT, beginning to wish we were neighbors. I have been thinking about making a waterer that I can fill up without going inside the run but I still need to get that grass going and now the fodder. I have been reading about that and I am now thinking about starting with some wild bird seed to practice with.

JT, beginning to wish we were neighbors. I have been thinking about making a waterer that I can fill up without going inside the run but I still need to get that grass going and now the fodder. I have been reading about that and I am now thinking about starting with some wild bird seed to practice with.

That would be cool to have more chicken neighbors.

I built this nipple water dispenser from a 5 gallon bucket. It would be a simple thing to add a PVC pipe with a cap outside the run to fill from. This is a shot from inside my first badly constructed run (too short for old farts). I have a floating heater in the bucket for winter months. I got the nipples from amazon. I need to get a photo of it now with the landscaping. The only thing I don't like is they fly up there and poop so I need to make a panel on a 45 to cover the lid.
chicken-water02.jpg

JT

I don’t like the round feeders either. It takes up to much space for my set up. I was thinking of purchasing a bird feeder similar to what you made! Let us know how it works.

It was quite simple to make and I only used a skill saw and a screw gun. I used a strip of aluminum with some C clamps as a guide to make the long straight cuts and a speed square to make the angle cuts. I'll add some dimensional drawings in a bit gotta go check and see if the paint is dry.

JT

I hung a piece of plywood over mine. Hung it from the top with three ropes from a point so it stays flat but if they try to fly up it tilts them off. It's too low for them to get under it. It's not in the way enough to be a problem filling it.

Some people hang a gallon milk jug to keep them off of things, but if it's outside fill it with dirt or sand to keep the wind from blowing it out of the way.

JT, it might be easier to hang something than build a sloped top for yours. Just a thought.

That would be cool to have more chicken neighbors.

I built this nipple water dispenser from a 5 gallon bucket. It would be a simple thing to add a PVC pipe with a cap outside the run to fill from. This is a shot from inside my first badly constructed run (too short for old farts). I have a floating heater in the bucket for winter months. I got the nipples from amazon. I need to get a photo of it now with the landscaping. The only thing I don't like is they fly up there and poop so I need to make a panel on a 45 to cover the lid.
View attachment 1190667

JT

That’s like a mini water tower. :D :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom